[Observation on Teacher]Observing My Mentor's Classroom II

On the first week, I did my classroom observation. The first day of my classroom observation full of excitement and nervousness at the same time. According to the agreement with my mentor Sir Danny O. Balance, I will have my observation at St. Dorothea section in the afternoon. Sir Balance is an English subject teacher and taught at grade 10 only, he is an advisor of the drama club at JHS as well. He is very kind, always put me in the first and asked me which I prefer, do I have something to be bothered when teaching so i can teaching well without any pressure and stressed. He is the best teacher and partner ever!
Started at 1.25 pm I walked in St. Dorothea section, grade 10 through the back door. Sir Balance greeted his students and introduced me to them as his partner of teaching. He started his lessons by praying and called the students to lead the prayer. Before proceeding to the material which is research at that time, Sir Balance showed some issues about the most over-debated topics in the world in the presentation and called the students randomly once again. He asked the students of what does the issue mean, what would you say about the issue. Then, Sir Balance divide the class into 4 groups and asked them to present some issues. Proceed to the material, I learned that Sir Balance linked the issue to the material research to open students’ mind up in learning research.
On the other day, I observed different sections and time as well. I changed my schedule from the afternoon to the morning. In the morning I have to observe two classes at 7.15 and 9.25. I came to the St. Damian section at 7.15 am. I had my first ancillary task from Sir Balance because he had meeting at that time, to ask the students to get the sample of research paper from the previous students. Sir Balance asked me to ask the students what did they get from the sample. I was nervous to handle the class because at that time they were so noisy, but fortunately Sir Balance back to the class and handle the class.
On the last day of my classroom observartion, I came to the St. David section at 9.25 am. This time Sir Balance discussed about students’ project for presenting their research paper in 10 minutes called Pecha Kucha Project. Where they should prepared their draft before they were presenting it. The draft should be consist of title of the research, rationale, research question, and thesis statement of the research. Before Sir Balance end the class he wouldn’t left the class without leaving a value or morale related to the lesson.
I had learned that Sir Balance used brain-based learning according to the way he taught. He asked the students about the lesson, he compelled the students to understand the value of the lesson. He always asked the students to explain some sentences related to the lesson.

After the lesson had done, Sir Balance and I discussed about my independent teaching. He helped me to prepare my lesson plan, told me how to handle the class, how to deal with the students. Sir Balance always help me and say “you can do it! I know you can do it!” that’s really motivating me. Thank you very much Sir Balance!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[School Profile, General Information, Administration]UST Junior High School

[Pedagogical Contents]Observing My Mentor's Classroom I